Ottawa Police are reminding motorists and pedestrians to be aware of the extra children and youth on city streets over the next few days.
Kids will be returning to school and will be busing, walking and riding their bikes to their destinations. Police offer these safety tips:
- Reduce speeds in school zones and be ready to stop at any time. Children do not always notice oncoming traffic.
- Obey school bus signals.
- Walk on available sidewalks.
- Always cross at intersections, looking and listening for traffic and walk across only when road is clear and safe to do so.
- Follow adult crossing guards, student crossing patrols and school bus operator’s signals.
- Always wear a helmet when riding a bike and walk your bike across a roadway.
For more safety tips, click here.