(PHOTO: The Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers Limited building in Carleton Place. Constructed in 1890 of local limestone, this building contained the roundhouse and engine repair shops for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) until 1939. In 1940, the building was purchased by the Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers. Wool arrives here from across the country and is graded before being shipped out in compact bales.)
Get ready to wander and explore on the weekend of September 16 and 17!
Doors Open Carleton Place 2017 features eleven local properties that will be open to the public, free of charge. This is a great opportunity for residents to play tourist in their own community, and one more reason for visitors to come and discover the town of Carleton Place.
The Municipal Heritage Committee is sponsoring this two day event, assisted by the Ontario Heritage Trust. Participating sites will be open 10 am to 4 pm each day.
The first Doors Open Day took place in France in 1984. The idea soon spread to neighbouring countries and in 2000 the city of Toronto launched the first Doors Open event in North America.
- Tours of the wool grading facility at the Canadian Cooperative Woolgrowers will take place both days at 11:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.!
- Shop for vintage treasures at the “Fall Finds” pop up shop at the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum!
- Guided tours of Carleton Place Town Hall will take you backstage in the historical auditorium where you can stand on one of Canada’s few remaining raked stages!
- Visit the apartments above the Granary in the Keyes Block where you’ll learn about the building’s history and view the unique glassed ventilation shaft!
- Be sure to see the signatures on the stairway wall in the Masonic Lodge on Bridge Street!
For more information and a complete list of participating sites please visit:
We invite everyone to participate in this celebration of our community’s heritage. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to explore our sometimes hidden and always interesting places and spaces – all free of charge!
Interesting in helping out as a volunteer? Please call Jennifer at 613-253-7013 or email email@example.com
#ComeWander in Carleton Place!