Firefighters praise quick-thinking staff at retirement residence

(via Ottawa Fire Services)

Ottawa Fire Services (OFS) received a call from staff at 6:21 a.m. indicating that there was heavy smoke in a unit of a Retirement Residence.  Crews made their way to the 1300 block of Stittsville Main Street.

Upon their arrival, firefighters confirmed that evacuation of residents was already underway by staff.  Some firefighters were tasked to assist with the evacuation while others made their way to the fire unit.  Crews confirmed items had ignited in a microwave in a resident’s room which caused fire and ample amounts of smoke.

Luckily, the quick action of a staff member allowed them to extinguish the fire and stop it from spreading.  The staffer had used a fire extinguisher on the appliance. At 6:25 a.m. the incident was deemed under control and additional fire apparatus were cancelled. Fire crews already on scene remained on site to assist with ventilation and resident relocation.

We want to take this opportunity to remind residents and employers of the importance of knowing how to use a fire extinguisher at home and at work.

As a general rule, firefighting should be left to the fire department. Get everyone out of the home and have someone call the fire department.

Only adults who are trained should use fire extinguishers. Learn to use them before a fire occurs. Fire extinguishers should be used only on small fires. If you have a fire extinguisher, inspect it monthly and have it serviced annually.

Did you know: Ottawa Fire Services has a Public Education team that offers Fire Extinguisher Training.


ADVERTISEMENT
Support Local Stittsville


SHARE THIS