(Above: Long-time church members William Passmore, chair of the 150th anniversary committee, along with Doreen Bell. Passmore has served as head of the Sunday School and has been part of the community for over 30 years. Bell, a church member since the late 1950’s, has been a member of the Altar Guild for many years and often does special flower arrangements for the church. Photo by Barry Gray.)
St. Thomas Anglican Church Stittsville is gearing up for a year of celebrations to mark the 150 years that the church has served this community.
The celebrations will begin this Sunday, December 6 when the Bishop of Ottawa will come to St. Thomas to preside over a confirmation service, and at the same time, join in the celebrations for the 25th anniversary of the building of the present church.
The first church, built at Stanley’s Corners, was struck by lightning and destroyed by fire in 1964 and was replaced by a brick church facing onto Stittsville Main Street, which is now the offices of the present church. The lovely white building which graces the corner of Carleton Cathcart Street and Stittsville Main Street, was built in 1990 because the congregation had grown too large for the brick church. Many of the stained glass windows saved from the fire are installed in the new church.
Various events will be happening throughout 2016, culminating in a gala dinner on Saturday October 29, and a service of joy and thanksgiving on Sunday, October 30 at which the Primate of Canada, the Right Reverend Fred Hiltz will be present.
A special logo has been designed for the 150th anniversary and golf shirts with the logo have been enthusiastically ordered by the members of the congregation. The logo is made up of a shamrock to commemorate the Irish settlers who first came to Goulbourn Township, a white rose to indicate the English settlers who came to Goulbourn, and a maple leaf to show how Canada binds them all together. (Most of the Scots went to Perth which is why there isn’t a thistle!) Underneath are the year the parish was established, 1866, and the present year 2016 which indicates the 150 years the parish has existed.
More information about St. Thomas’ and its year of celebration can be found on the church website at stthomasstittsville.ca
SUPPORT LOCAL STITTSVILLE