(The stone farmhouse Champness Bradley built in 1903 and shared with his wife Mary Ann and their four children. Watercolour: Perpetua Quigley)
Perpetua Quigley continues to capture the history of our area with her latest water colour and Haiku. Here, Perpetua has re-established the importance of the 1903 stone dwelling of the late Mr. Champness Bradley and his wife Mary Ann (nee Richardson). The home stands today in the neighbourhood of Bradley’s Commons in what is now Kanata.
Hazeldean Hill Farm
quarried stone and arch windows
Widely known and respected throughout the Ottawa Valley, Champness Bradley and his wife Mary Ann Richardson were residents of Hazeldean Village, known as Glen Cairn in Goulbourn Township. The family with four children were farmers.
In addition, Champness was instrumental in the formation of the Hazeldean Rural Telephone Company which served Hazeldean, Stittsville and Bells Corners, bringing communications to every household.
In 1903, Champness built his stone residence on the family farm known as Hill Farm. The land extended from Hazeldean Road to past the old C.P.R. tracks that is today the Trans Canada Trail. Their home, designated as an Ottawa Heritage property, is a symbol of Goulbourn’s rural heritage and an example of the nineteenth century domestic architecture.
An interesting tidbit this editor came across about Mary Ann – Mrs. Champness Bradley of Hazeldean was honoured at Stittsville’s 1967 Centennial celebrations as the Senior Citizen of Stittsville and area for all of her volunteer activities.