Mark your calendars and get ready to help keep Ottawa clean and green! The City of Ottawa’s 2021 Cleaning the Capital Program is back for its spring campaign. The citywide cleanup campaign will run from April 15 to May 15, during which time you’re sure to spot many volunteers cleaning parks, sidewalks, trails, and more all around Stittsville.
The registration process is simple and fast:
- Visit ottawa.ca/clean or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401) to register your cleanup. The interactive map will show which locations have already been claimed, and the online registration form will allow you to choose your own project site and indicate the cleanup supplies that you need.
- Select a location, such as a park, ravine, shoreline, bus stop, or pathway – any public area that requires litter pickup or graffiti removal.
High school students can earn their community volunteer hours by participating in Cleaning the Capital.
This is the 28th year of the Cleaning the Capital program. Since its beginning in 1994, approximately 1,100,000 kilograms of waste has been removed from Ottawa’s public spaces.
Participants are reminded to follow public health guidelines in order to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19. Ensure your cleanup plan includes the following:
- Keep a physical distance of at least two metres (six feet) from anyone who is not from your household.
- Wear a mask whenever physical distancing is not possible.
- Wash and/or sanitize your hands as early and as often as possible.
- If you are feeling unwell in any way, please stay home.
To keep everyone safe and healthy, remember to “Be COVID Wise” https://www.ottawapublichealth.ca/en/public-health-topics/be-covidwise.aspx.