(A Hydro Ottawa charge point for electric vehicles. Photo: Hydro Ottawa)
April 14th is Electric Vehicle Day. A free event for anyone interested in learning more about electric cars and bicycles is taking place at IKEA‘s north parking lot from 9:00am – 5:00pm. Educational electric vehicle (EV) test drives will be available throughout the day with Plug’N Drive, as well as two seminars about the used EV incentive program. Electric vehicle owners from the Electric Vehicle Council of Ottawa will be on hand with their vehicles to share their experiences, local knowledge and answer any questions about EV ownership. We will have several special guests popping by throughout the day and several community partners on site to share their resources.
EnviroCentre’s mission is to help people, organizations, and businesses reduce their environmental impact in practical and lasting ways. We support the adoption of electric vehicles as we know that a car-free lifestyle is not an option for everyone and that electric bicycles can mean the difference between cycling and driving for many Ottawa residents. Electric vehicles have a lower impact on the environment than gas vehicles as they are more energy efficient and electricity in Ontario is a much cleaner energy source. By switching to an EV, the average Canadian driver can reduce their car’s greenhouse gas emissions by as much as 90% [source: Plug’N Drive].
Ottawa’s Electric Vehicle Day – the event
- Free and family friendly.
- Free test drives will be offered through Plug’N Drive. The following models will be available: BMWi3, Mitsubishi Outlander, Chevy Bolt.
- Volunteers from the Electric Vehicle Council of Ottawa will be bringing over 12 EV models that visitors will be able to look at up close.
- Electric bicycles and an electric School Bus will also be on display.
- EV experts will be on hand to answer questions including around purchase incentives.
- Plug’N Drive will host two free workshops around used EV purchase incentives at 11 am and 2 pm.
- Other participants include IKEA, Pedal Easy, Hydro Ottawa, Bullfrog Power, Ecology Ottawa, Live 88.5, Donnelly Mitsubishi, Myers Volkswagen, and the Canadian Science and Technology Museum
Guests of Honor
- Mayor Jim Watson will be attending and speaking at 12.30pm
- Hon. Catherine McKenna will also be attending the event
- Don Grant founder of Ottawa’s first EV Day
“The Electric Vehicle Council of Ottawa (EVCO) is proud to support EnviroCentre’s EV Day again this year. Our volunteers look forward to sharing with the public our experience as EV owners.” ~ Raymond Leury, President of EVCO.
“There is great interest in Electric Vehicles and so much to learn. We want to give people a chance to try them out, talk to owners and have their questions answered in a no-pressure, non-sales environment.” ~ Jen Stelzer, Manager, Community Sustainability Programs at EnviroCentre.
EnviroCentre is an Ottawa based non-profit organization whose mission is to provide people, communities and organizations with practical solutions to lighten their environmental impact in lasting ways.
EnviroCentre acknowledges the financial support from the City of Ottawa for this event.
Learn more and share the event: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/ottawa-electric-vehicle-day-tickets-59006667531