(Members of the Kassis family, who organized the successful Family Fun Fair, pose with Councillor Glen Gower on June 22, 2019 in Stittsville. Photo: Stittsville Central)
The Kassis family, owners of Jo-Jo’s Pizza, must be commended for bringing another entertaining free family Fun Fair Day to the Main Street of Stittsville. This year’s day was attended by a record crowd and has grown threefold in size from their original start. The weather could not have been better. The Kassis hold this annual free event to thank and show their gratitude to the Stittsville community for the years of loyalty they have received.
The day started off with Councillor Glen Gower stepping up first to the Dunk Tank to get ceremoniously dunked. The dedicated staff, wearing their distinctive red Jo-Jo’s t-shirts, happily served free slices of pizza to a non-ending line-up. There was free cotton candy and more. Face painting and a clown giving out balloon figures were all part of the day. The Kinsman’s of The Grounds were also on-site refreshing everyone with their cold lemonade and homemade macaroons. The Creameria was a huge attraction with everyone enjoying ice cream. Much to the delight of the first 250 customers, Odam Real Estate sponsored half price cones!
This was an all-inclusive event that had many local businesses donating to its success. When speaking with Zeyad Kassis, he told us “that every business who donated also had to bring something to the event … this idea was well received with everyone eager to chip in”. This was evident with all of the activities on site. He couldn’t emphasize enough that the event is a success because of the support of all the local businesses who helped out. Here are some memories from the day —
Zayed went on to tell us what each business had provided —
- Cash for Trash was there with their flat bed truck and handed out hats and t-shirts to everyone, as well as sponoring a bouncy castle;
- Ottawa Fire brought a big pumper truck;
- Whole Health Pharmacy also sponsored a bouncy castle;
- Warmstone Dentistry provided the huge hit – the Dunk Tank – the ‘tank’ raised funds for the Kanata-Stittsville Kiwanis Chapter;
- Nxt Generation Dance shared their dance moves and had everyone in the crowd joining in;
- the Greco team provided the unique petting zoo — baby wolf; baby mountain lion; a gorgeous black and white lemur who, to the delight of the crowd thoroughly enjoyed its lunch of Caesar salad; some exotic reptiles were present too — the guys also volunteered to get dunked in the tank;
- Of course, the excellent DJ just kept the tunes coming.
A large number of young children could be found in the Community Garden planting their sunflower seeds. Families toured the Fairy Garden much to the kiddies delight as they spotted the many whimsical creatures.
It was a wonderful family fun day and I can only surmise that everyone is already counting the days to next year’s event!
SUPPORT LOCAL STITTSVILLE