This week and next, children will be returning to school and many will be busing, walking and riding their bikes to their destinations.
The Ottawa Police Service reminds motorists and pedestrians to be aware of the increase of children and youth on city streets. As school begins, please consider the following safety tips:
- Reduce speeds in school zones and be ready to stop at any time. Children do not always notice oncoming traffic;
- Obey school bus signals;
- Watch for pedestrian crossovers<http://ottawa.ca/en
/residents/transportation-and- parking/road-safety/pedestrian -crossovers>, know how they work<http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/ english/safety/pedestrian-safe ty.shtml> and obey them when in use;
- Walk on available sidewalks;
- Always cross at intersections, looking and listening for traffic and walk across only when road is clear and safe to do so;
- Follow adult crossing guards, student crossing patrols and school bus operator’s signals; and,
- Always wear a helmet when riding a bike and walk your bike across a roadway.
Drivers are responsible for stopping in both directions, if on a road without a median, when they see a school bus stopped with its lights flashing. Fines for not obeying this law range from $400 to $2,000 and six demerit points.
For more safety tips, go to Back to School Safety https://www.ottawapolic
SUPPORT LOCAL STITTSVILLE