Minion fire hydrant, as seen on Stonepath Crescent in Crossing Bridge
(via City of Ottawa)
Did you know that the City has over 22,000 fire hydrants? To ensure they are in working order, all City hydrants are tested annually. The following streets will be tested between June 14 and June 17. Most are in the Fairwinds, Johnwoods, Arcadia and Richardson Ridge communities.
|ARKROSE ST (Kanata)|
|BEAVERBROOK RD (Kanata)|
|BRECCIA HTS (Kanata)|
|BRETTONWOOD RIDGE (Kanata)|
|CAMPEAU DR (Kanata)|
|DEVONIAN WAY (Kanata)|
|DIDSBURY RD (Kanata)|
|ESCARPMENT CRES (Kanata)|
|FALLENGALE CRES (Kanata)|
|HALYARD WAY (Kanata)|
|HUNTSVILLE DR (Kanata)|
|LEACOCK DR (Kanata)|
|PAINE AVE (Kanata)|
|SADDLEBACK CRES (Kanata)|
|SWEETWATER LANE (Kanata)|
|WESTOVER CRES (Kanata)|
What should you do while hydrants are being tested on your street?
- We recommend that you turn off your taps for 10 to 20 minutes while crews are testing the fire hydrants on your street and to not do laundry during that time. This should allow work crews enough time to complete the test. When work crews have left the area, turn on one of the COLD water taps in your home for a few minutes to flush out the system.
Why do we test fire hydrants?
- The Fire Hydrant Testing Program is designed to ensure fire hydrants are in full working order and have proper flow capacity.
How do we test a fire hydrant?
- To ensure a hydrant is capable of meeting flow requirements, City crews open the hydrants and discharge water from the hydrant at a very high flow rate.
How does this affect the street where the testing takes place?
- While fire hydrant testing is a routine maintenance procedure, it may result in temporary inconveniences. The testing disturbs sediments in the water distribution system and often results in brown or rust-coloured water. Hydrant testing may also reduce regular water pressure, however this should only be limited to when testing is occurring. Your regular water pressure will return to normal once the flow testing is complete.
How do you know when your street will be tested?
- Check the fire hydrant test schedule to see when your street’s fire hydrants will be tested. Please note the schedule only includes streets impacted by fire hydrant testing. If your street has not been listed, it will not be subject to fire hydrant testing this year.
SUPPORT LOCAL STITTSVILLE