(Jo-Jo’s Community Garden on Stittsville Main Street. The community garden was initiated by Kim Bonin, a member of the Stittsville Goulbourn Horticultural Society and is designed as a kitchen garden. Photo: Stittsville Central)
There may be snow lingering on the ground, but Spring is just around the corner. As we continue to spend more time at home, gardening is getting plenty of attention! The Ottawa Public Library (OPL) has partnered with the Master Gardeners of Ottawa-Carleton (MGOC) to offer a series of online gardening programs throughout the Spring, Summer and into the Fall. The master gardeners will be sharing their knowledge on a wide variety of gardening topics from planning to enjoying your garden.
Perhaps your goal for your garden this year is to create your own green space where you can relax and enjoy the outdoors? Or are you wanting to ensure a super local source of fresh food all summer long? Maybe you are looking for outdoor gardening activities to share with your children? Few things are more rewarding than being able to step outside your door to pick a handful of fresh herbs or a tomato to use in your meal. Even if you don’t have a yard, you can successfully grow plants in containers on a balcony or even a windowsill.
Judith Cox, a master gardener who lives in Stittsville and President of the Stittsville Goulbourn Horticultural Society, has been invited to share her ‘sage’ advice during two presentations – May 19 and May 26. Judith is an entertaining and knowledgeable speaker, so don’t miss her sessions.
The series runs on select Wednesdays from 12 noon to 1:00 pm, starting March 24th. The sessions will kick off with a session about, what else, starting plants from seeds.
All of the events are free, and registration will ensure you receive a reminder and link. There are programs offered in English and French, so take advantage of the knowledge and the enthusiasm of the local master gardeners. Watch for more programs to sprout up as the growing season progresses!
- All From a Little Seed (How to start seeds) with Rebecca Last, Wednesday, March 24, 12 pm
- D’une toute petite graine (Comment effectuer vos semis) with Odette McIntyre, in French, Wednesday, March 31, 12 pm
- Gardening Basics with Claire McCaughey, Wednesday, April 14, 12 pm
- Les bases de jardinage with Claire McCaughey, in French, Wednesday, April 21, 12 pm
- Organic Gardening 101 with Rebecca Last, Wednesday, May 5, 12 pm
- Jardinage biologique 101 avec Odette McIntyre, in French, Wednesday, May 12, 12 pm
- Vegetable Gardening with Judith Cox, Wednesday, May 19, 12 pm
- Gardening with Children with Judith Cox, Wednesday, May 26, 12 pm
- Going Grassless: Meadowscaping Your Yard with Julianne Labreche, Wednesday, June 2, 12 pm
- Container Gardening – Dramatic, Changeable and Forever Moveable with Catherine Disley and Rob Stuart, Wednesday, June 9, 12 pm
- Jardinage en contenants with Claire McCaughey, in French, Wednesday, June 16, 12 pm
To register for the gardening series or individual sessions, visit the Program and Event category on the Ottawa Public Library website.