City Councillor Shad Qadri posted this note to several local Facebook groups today. You can see background documents for the plan of subdivision here.
Stittsville South – Plan of Subdivision Approved
The Planning and Growth Management Department has approved the Draft Plan of Subdivision submitted by Novatech on behalf of Thomas Cavanagh Construction Ltd. and Stittsville South Inc. subject to the development conditions.
This site has been referred to as Stittsville South and Area 6 and is municipally known as 1845, 1877, 1883 and 1921 Stittsville Main Street, Part of 6070 Fernbank Road, Part of 5993 Flewellyn Road, and one additional unaddressed contiguous parcel. The application file number is D07-16-13-0033.
The site is the western portion of the lands within the Stittsville South Urban Expansion Area (Area 6). Surrounding the property, to the north is the Upcountry/West Wind Farms subdivision and to the west across Stittsville Main Street is the Traditions/Harris Lands subdivision. To the south is the Woodside Acres country estate. To the east is the remaining land of the Urban Expansion Area 6, this site is known as the Area 6 East (Davidson’s land) and a development application was recently submitted by Tartan Homes for these lands at the address of 5970 Fernbank Road (File number D02-02-15-0041 & D07-16-15-0008).
Over the years there has been a large amount of discussion regarding this proposed development and concerns have been expressed by residents in Upcountry/West Wind Farms Community and Woodside Acres. I am pleased that the following conditions have been included in this development as this should assist in addressing some of the concerns that were raised. I can appreciate that this may still not be ideal for all residents but I do feel a compromise was found.
- No construction traffic of any kind will access this subdivision using Hartsmere Drive any time during the construction. There will also be no construction traffic using Poplarwood as there will not be a road connecting to this street.
- Street Twelve and Street Thirteen will remain closed between Hartsmere Drive and Street One until such time as a collector road connecting to either Fernbank Road and/or Shea Road through the Area 6 East land (aka Davidson’s land) is available.
- The owner will be required to install barriers and signage preventing vehicular access to this section of the road. These barriers will be designed to allow for emergency vehicles to access the subdivision, all to the satisfaction of the General Manager of Planning and Growth Management.
- Prior to a road connection through the Area 6 East land (aka Davidson’s land) to Fernbank Road and/or Shea Road as shown on is constructed, no more than 350 building permits will be issued within this subdivision. Prior to the aforementioned collector road is connected, the Owner may request additional 50 building permits once 250 units are occupied and a traffic count is conducted for the intersection of Stittsville Main and Street One/West Ridge that confirms there is available capacity.
- The Owner agrees to construct (and enter into cost sharing agreements with the other land owner) a collector road connecting to Fernbank Road and/or Shea Road through the Area 6 East land (aka Davidson’s land), under the circumstances that the aforementioned collector road is not built by the other land owner of Area 6 East land (aka Davidson’s land).
To review all the conditions and the approved plan please visit my website at: http://shadqadri.com/…/planning-dev/residential-development/
I am not aware of exact timelines for the development at this time but I do know that the owners will be planning to proceed with development now that they have been granted approval.
SUPPORT LOCAL STITTSVILLE