Here are the top topics on StittsvilleCentral.ca in 2014 … at least since we launched on September 1!
1. Kathleen Edwards opens Quitters coffee. Kathleen’s coffee shop opened on Thanksgiving weekend and has since become a magnet for both local coffee lovers and her fans from across the region (and beyond). It’s Stittsville’s biggest tourist attraction.
2. Tanger Outlets. From the chaos of opening day at the end of October to the shooting on Boxing Day, the new shopping centre north of the Queensway has been a popular topic for our readers.
3. City council race. Shad won a third term, but challenger Dave Lee picked up 40% of the vote. Not bad for his first time running for office.
4. Car drives into Main Street Cafe. The windows were smashed but nobody was hurt, thankfully. It was the second time a car drove into the plaza in 2014 — ironic since it’s also home to a driver’s license bureau.
6. Support Local Stittsville. We helped organize a day at the beginning of September to help bring attention to local businesses.
7. Stittsville priest charged with sex assult. A well-known priest with ties to Holy Spirit Catholic Church and Sacred Heart High School was charged in connection with a 2008 sexual assault.
8. Closure of Mini Muffins Daycare. Parents lost cash and were left scrambling to find alternate child care after the sudden closure of the Kanata facility. (We’re working on a series about upcoming changes to daycare in our region for 2015.)
10. Schools. Several stories contributed to this topic, including the push for a public high school in Stittsville, the trustee elections, the groundbreaking for a french high school, and proposed boundary changes for Munster Elementary School.
Other popular stories over the past few months:
- Impact of possible move downtown for the Sens
- Woman on horse goes through the McDonald’s drive-thru
- Aerial video footage of the Fairwinds community
- History of Boyd House at 173 Huntmar
- OC Transpo service
- Stittsville Main Street Community Design Plan delays
- Lack of sidewalks on the Huntmar overpass
- Stittsville real estate
- Carp Road landfill
Thanks to everyone for visiting StittsvilleCentral.ca during our first four months … we have big plans for 2015, stay tuned!