(Above: Photo by Coreen Tyers.)
In recognition of the name’s historical significance, the City of Ottawa has been asked to name a woodland area on Abbott Street East, adjacent to Sacred Heart High School, the “Kemp Woodland”.
A summary of the proposal, submitted by the Ottawa Stewardship Council, is provided below:
Born in 1838 in what is today called “Stittsville”, John Kemp was the son of William Kemp, one of Goulbourn’s early Irish settlers.
John Kemp was a prominent 19th century Stittsville tavern keeper, railway contractor, and Goulbourn Township reeve from 1887 to 1894. He is best known as the builder and owner of the stone mansion Kemp’s Tavern, which now houses Cabotto’s Restaurant on Hazeldean Road.
John Kemp purchased Lot 25, Concession 10 sometime before 1879. Today, an 8.9 hectare cedar forest lies within this lot, which is adjacent to the Trans-Canada Trail and Sacred Heart High School. The forest is owned by the City of Ottawa and is a designated Natural Environment Area.
If you would like to submit comments regarding this proposal or obtain further information, please contact:
City Clerk and Solicitor Department
Ottawa City Hall
110 Laurier Ave. W.
Ottawa, ON K1P 1J1
Tel: 613-580-2424, extension 28091
Comments on this proposal must be received no later than May 16, 2015.
SUPPORT LOCAL STITTSVILLE