UPDATE ON HAZELDEAN CAR DEALERSHIP
There’s a revised site plan online for the proposed car dealership at 5835 Hazeldean Road. The property is currently a gravel lot for the Canadian Auto Mall, with a temporary sales trailer on site.
Changes from the original plan include:
- Enhanced landscaping (including several new trees) in front of the building, along the eastern edge of the property and across the rear of the site
- The entire parking/storage areas is now shown as asphalt (some areas were previously shown as gravel)
- Changes to the front face of the building, including the addition of masonry, additional glazing (windows) and an entry door facing Hazeldean Road.
COMMITTEE OF ADJUSTMENT NOTES
On March 1 the City of Ottawa’s Committee of Adjustment (CoA) will look at two Stittsville applications. The first is for 1495 Stittsville Main Street. Our readers will know that property as home to the Lytle House, now being converted into new offices for Jennifer McGahan Interiors.
McGahan wants approval to subdivide her property, creating a separate lot next the existing house. That would create an interesting opportunity for an entrepreneur to put up another building of similar size and scale to the late-19th century buildings that make up that part of Main Street just north of Abbott.
(By the way, crews recently demolished an old garage and addition on the back of Lytle House. McGahan also tore down the white wooden porch at the front of the house, but plans to restore it.)
The other item in front of the CoA is at 2 Goulbourn Street. That’s another proposal to subdivide the large piece of land to create a new residential property. According to the City, the new parcel of land will have an existing building which won’t confirm with the zoning bylaw, so a “Minor Variances Application” also has to be approved.
You can read about both applications here, along with info about a CoA hearing for property on Carp Road near William Mooney Drive.
It’s not quite Stittsville but close enough. Canadian Conservative Party leadership candidate Kevin O’Leary will be holding a Q&A event at the Intercultural Dialogue Institute (335 Michael Cowpland Dr. Unit #112) in Kanata this Friday, February 24. It’s free to attend if you have a Conservative Party membership. More info here…
ODDS & ENDS
- Earlier tonight the Flewellyn-Jones House on Fernbank Road was recognized with a heritage plaque certificate at the City’s Ottawa Architectural Conservation Awards.
- I missed Kathleen Edwards’ concert at Quitters on Valentine’s Day but it sounds like the cafe will be hosting more frequent music events. Next up is Canadian Folk Music Award nominee Megan Bonnell, playing on April 7.
— Megan Bonnell (@TheMeganBonnell) February 17, 2017
- I hear that Winnipeg musician Begonia (aka Alexa Dirks) played a Stittsville house party the other week. She’s also playing Bluesfest this summer.
- TRUE FACT: Technically speaking, the JUNOs are in Stittsville this year.
SUPPORT LOCAL STITTSVILLE